Loss of moisture leads to dry cracked skin. When the skin becomes too dry, it can cause itching, scratching, flaking and finally, cracking in the skin. The moisture can be stolen from the skin by the conditions like: harsh winter weather, frequently taking long, hot and steamy shower, constant exposure to sun, moisture depriving soaps and becoming older. In this article you will learn about natural remedies for dry cracked skin that you might need to consider.
Home remedies for dry cracked skin
Dry skin can’t cause serious health problem unless it is left untreated. The following simple yet effective methods can help get rid of dry skin conditions.
1. Choose moisture- restoring cream
If your skin becomes too dry and cracked, then you need to treat it with the thicker and nutrient rich cream instead of applying lotions. Therefore, look for the body creams that are loaded with Shea butter, urea, emollients, glycerin, sodium lactate, and antioxidants that are targeted to treat dry cracked skin condition. Lanolin containing cream like on the lamb lanolin company dry skin lanolin cream is also very effective remedy to combat severely dry skin.
2. Honey for dry cracked skin
Honey is a powerful and effective cure for dry cracked skin. Its humectant property pulls moisture into the skin and helps retain moisture, while antibacterial property fights infection. Take 0ne teaspoon of honey and smear it on your skin. Let it stay for 20 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
3. Sooth itching with milk bath
Are you straggling with itching symptom of your dry skin? Well, soaking in milk bath can help sooth the symptom. Milk contains lactic acid, proteins, vitamins and fats that are essential to nourish the skin. Reap the benefits milk bath by adding whole milk into warm water in bath tub and soak in it. After you are done soaking, rinse off with clean water.
4. Grapeseed oil for dry cracked skin
Grapeseed oil, which is extracted from grape seed, is very light that can be used safely to moisturize all types of skin. It is easily absorbed by the skin. It contains vitamin E and linoleic acid that protect the skin’s layer from external damage and keep the skin moist and supple. Apply the oil on damp skin after a bath to lock in the moisture.
5. Jojoba oil
Jojoba oil is a perfect moisturizer for dry skin and helps the skin retain moisture as it is similar to natural oils produced by our skin. Because it does not feel heavy on skin and absorbs quickly, it leaves your skin soft and smooth. Gently massage the affected area with 2- 4 drops of jojoba oil until it is absorbed. Other natural oils, such as olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil also work well. Do this twice a day to get the best result.
6. Avocado paste for dry skin
Avocado is loaded with essential fatty acids and vitamins that can nourish and moisturize the skin from the inside out. Thus, it is one of the best home remedies to cure dry skin. Mash ripe avocado with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix vigorously until it forms paste. Massage the mixture on your skin and leave on for 15-20 minutes. And finally, wash it off with lukewarm water.
7. Apply banana-honey mixture
Banana is rich in minerals and vitamins that work wonders for your dry and cracked skin by providing moisture and long-lasting hydration. Get bowl, mash ripe banana and 1 tbsp of honey. Using fork, mix up both until smooth paste is formed then apply the paste on the affected area using your fingers. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes and then rinse off. Do this regularly to get rid of dry skin.
8. Soften with yogurt and honey
The lactic acid in yogurt removes dead skin and leaves your skin smooth and refreshed. Yogurt not only hydrates dry skin, but also prevents the skin from aging due to its antioxidant properties. Now, take half cup of plain yogurt made with whole milk and mix with 1tablespoon of honey to add more moisture. apply the mixture on clean skin. After 15 minutes rinse off with cold water. The result? soft and glowing skin.
9. Exfoliate twice a week
Exfoliating the skin to remove dead cells that are accumulated on the surface of your body leaves your skin refreshed, feeling smooth and healthy. You can use pumice stone to scrub your feet and heels, exfoliating gloves to scrub other part of body and for hard to reach area use body brush. Put some exfoliator that contains jojoba, sweet almond and Argan oils on scrubbing gloves and begin scrubbing in gentle and circular motion. Remember NOT to over-exfoliate your skin as it leads to irritation and redness.
Treat your skin efficiently from inside out
If you aim to treat your dry skin only with topical treatment or remedy, you are missing the most important ways to beat dry skin and methods to avoid the root cause.
Treating dry skin from inside out involves:
- Getting enough water: it helps stay hydrated all the time and removes toxins from the body.
- Relying on essential fatty acids: EFAs such as, Omega-3s help protect the skin’s protective layer and retain moisture. foods that are high in Omega- 3 fatty acids are: salmon fish, tuna, olive oil, flaxseed, avocado, nuts, coconut oil and so on. Make sure you are consuming them on daily basis.
- Zinc: zinc is an important mineral that repairs the damaged skin and improves the immune system of the body. Thus, it can help heal cracked skin and wounds. Consume foods rich in zinc. Some of them are: grass-fed beef, chicken, pumpkin seeds mushroom and spinach.
- Vitamins: Eating vitamin rich vegetables, fruits and foods help maintain healthy skin.
- Zero junk food: junk food is unhealthy and puts your health in danger. It is high in sugar and calories that can dry out your skin.
- Limiting alcohol intake: excess alcohol consumption can lead to dehydration.
- Quit smoking: smoking has bad effect on your appearance. Therefore, it is good to quit smoking.